‘The Brothers Sketch’

My brother and I have decided to restart an old drawing challenge we used to years ago, so along with that, we also started a blog for it.
I’ll be posting there every Tuesday showing each weeks challenge.

Hop on over to check it out!

http://thebrotherssketch.wordpress.com/

 

Advertisements

Next Skyrim Project: Alduin’s Wall!

Decided that the next Skyrim related project, will be a version of Alduin’s Wall.

Not only is the many items and armor designed well, but even the ‘mundane’ details, like plates, signs, artwork, all looks amazing, and often hides little details.

Alduin’s wall is a center point of the story, as it prophesied the many events in The Elder Scrolls series.

This should be fun!

A well deserved THANK YOU!

In the last few weeks, my blog has gotten alot more attention than it usually has, in great part by being showcased on several sites lately.

It’s always a great feeling to find such links showing your own work, and I’m quite glad for it!

My Hawkman helmet was first show on Smooth-On’s Facebook page, and got quite a bit of views and comments.

I was then shown on the blog, Propnomicon, with my Sigil of Akatosh, and then my Lovecraft relief.

Tentaclii, a blog by author David Haden, who has written several books on H.P. Lovecraft, also showed my newest relief as well.

Not to mention comments and support from people over at The Replica Prop Forum, which can be an amazing place to learn, watch peoples projects, and just enjoy good company.

I would also like to throw a little shout out to Matt Munson, who’s been uploading videos explaining step-by-step insights to his personal build of Grapple Gun from the game, Batman: Arkham City. Check them out here!

Thank you to all, I really am thankful to all those that have looked over my work, and voiced their support!

H.P. Lovecraft Relief.

Several weeks ago I started a small portrait of the author, H.P. Lovecraft. Lovecraft is one of my favorite authors since childhood, as I had taken a copy of ‘The Case of Charles Dexter Ward’ from the library of my middle school, and was well, scared silly. I never finished the book until about 6 months ago, and seeing as though I currently reside in Providence, I thought it would be fitting to do a piece of him.

I started by just working on a small portrait, as I wasn’t sure how I wanted to approach this, as I had way to many ideas (as usual). I thought of doing some sort of idle, or votive piece. I have a tendency of not really nailing down an idea when I start random projects like this. Occasionally it can be a good thing, but often times it tends to get me caught in too many directions, and things never get finished.

Here’s the initial portrait!

It’s a fairly simple portrait, and rather thin. I made a mold out of this (after smoothing out details, and adding in sculpted eyes), and it then proceeded to sit on the back burner for about two months. Eventually I got around to checking it out again, and thought about finishing it. Of course, I started to come up with yet more ideas, did a few sketches and mock ups, but nothing really seemed to click for me.

One night however, after picking up some more Lovecraft books from a used bookstore, and thought of a few more ideas. I had wanted to base it on a combination of something from his mythos, as well as using references from Art Nouveau or Art Decor. I did alot of doodles, looked at alot of posters and such, but again, couldn’t quite figure out the look.

Eventually, I decided on just starting to sculpt, and if something comes out from it, then go for it.

So I put on ‘Tucker and Dale VS The Evil’ on Netflix, and got to working.

This, was the end result:

The face was not the clay version shown above, I did a quick cast in resin, and then just sculpted around it. I had done a few quick mock up’s, and eventually decided on basing it around Lovecraft’s main character: Cthulhu. Wings and tentacles seemed the most simplistic way of going about it, and I also wanted to add an ‘Elder Sign’ as well. Now, I’m not entirely versed on lore around Cthulhu, so I could have easily mix mashed two completely different malevolent powers! Hopefully my intestines don’t get infested with bunnies, or my socks all turn into soggy pasta. Or…something bizarre.

Yet another mold, but this time around something better suited to make multiple pulls, and after an initial test case (and failure), I did another cold-metal casting with the nickle powder.

Really, REALLY pleased with the results!

I am INCREDIBLY please with this piece, and the first casting is already mounted on my wall.

TESV: Skyrim – Amulet of Talos

Here are a few shots of a finished cast of the Amulet of Talos from the game, Skyrim.

This was cast in Smooth-On 300 resin, and then painted to appear bronze. I attempted to do some weathering to give it an antique look, though it did not come out the way I wanted, it was still a success. There is some metallic paints that come with an accelerator to make rust effects, which is something I do want to try out.