‘Votive of the Deep One’, finished photos.

Finally finished molding and casting the ‘Votive of the Deep One’, seen in my previous post.

Overall I was pleased with the initial cast, but will tweak some things to get a better ‘aged bronze’ look to it.

I am wanting to develop a lot more projects and items like this in the future, but materials can be costly, and I try to keep my prices at a reasonable and affordable amount. Sale prices like this help get my name out, and also help me build up funds as well. Any help, is always appreciated.

Advertisements

‘Votive of the Deep One’

Started a new piece just a few days ago, and so far it’s coming out very well.

I’ve been racking my brain on attempting to figure out more Lovecraft/Cthulhu based pieces, from idols, other tablet artifacts, anything. Sometimes, being your own boss just sucks.
Mike Mignola of Hellboy fame is an inspiration of mine, and I love that his comic style isn’t the usual norm. Each page, heck, each PANEL seems to be a stand alone piece, and he often hides little vignettes of artifacts, statues, and other little treasures, in the background or right in a separate panel.

While browsing http://www.artofmikemignola.com, I came across an image of ‘Abe Sapien’ with a curious little piece right in the middle.

I’ve been looking over my collection of Hellboy titles for inspiration, finding a little, but not enough. So that one just hit me.
So scrounging up supplies, doing my own doodles to decipher his work, I went and started a small piece.

It’s done in Super Sculpey Firm, and is 3 inches long by 2 inches wide. I plan on doing some texturing work next, and hope to have it molded and cast this weekend.

Enjoy!

H.P. Lovecraft Relief.

Several weeks ago I started a small portrait of the author, H.P. Lovecraft. Lovecraft is one of my favorite authors since childhood, as I had taken a copy of ‘The Case of Charles Dexter Ward’ from the library of my middle school, and was well, scared silly. I never finished the book until about 6 months ago, and seeing as though I currently reside in Providence, I thought it would be fitting to do a piece of him.

I started by just working on a small portrait, as I wasn’t sure how I wanted to approach this, as I had way to many ideas (as usual). I thought of doing some sort of idle, or votive piece. I have a tendency of not really nailing down an idea when I start random projects like this. Occasionally it can be a good thing, but often times it tends to get me caught in too many directions, and things never get finished.

Here’s the initial portrait!

It’s a fairly simple portrait, and rather thin. I made a mold out of this (after smoothing out details, and adding in sculpted eyes), and it then proceeded to sit on the back burner for about two months. Eventually I got around to checking it out again, and thought about finishing it. Of course, I started to come up with yet more ideas, did a few sketches and mock ups, but nothing really seemed to click for me.

One night however, after picking up some more Lovecraft books from a used bookstore, and thought of a few more ideas. I had wanted to base it on a combination of something from his mythos, as well as using references from Art Nouveau or Art Decor. I did alot of doodles, looked at alot of posters and such, but again, couldn’t quite figure out the look.

Eventually, I decided on just starting to sculpt, and if something comes out from it, then go for it.

So I put on ‘Tucker and Dale VS The Evil’ on Netflix, and got to working.

This, was the end result:

The face was not the clay version shown above, I did a quick cast in resin, and then just sculpted around it. I had done a few quick mock up’s, and eventually decided on basing it around Lovecraft’s main character: Cthulhu. Wings and tentacles seemed the most simplistic way of going about it, and I also wanted to add an ‘Elder Sign’ as well. Now, I’m not entirely versed on lore around Cthulhu, so I could have easily mix mashed two completely different malevolent powers! Hopefully my intestines don’t get infested with bunnies, or my socks all turn into soggy pasta. Or…something bizarre.

Yet another mold, but this time around something better suited to make multiple pulls, and after an initial test case (and failure), I did another cold-metal casting with the nickle powder.

Really, REALLY pleased with the results!

I am INCREDIBLY please with this piece, and the first casting is already mounted on my wall.